These are as much "notes to self" as anything else. Railo Express used to run on Jetty which was simply "unzip and run". Lucee express is now on Tomcat, and I think if one never had Railo / Lucee / Tomcat installed before it would also be "unzip and run", but I had a coupla hiccups along the way, so I thought I'd jot them down here to remind me what needs doing, and it might help other people if they get stuck too.
First things first, I've been using Tomcat on and off for a decade, but I never do enough with it to need to become familiar with it, so if I'm not doing things perfectly here: let me know.
- Download Lucee Express from the website.
- Install it. IE: unzip the download, stick it somewhere. I have put it in
- I had to check that my
CATALINA_HOMEvalue wasn't being set elsewhere. It was, because I had Railo Tomcat also installed. I deinstalled Railo, and blew away the
CATALINA_HOMEvalue in my environment variables. I learned I needed to do this the hard way... when I first started up Lucee it was trying to unpack stuff in
C:\apps\tomcat\[etc]which is where the old
CATALINA_HOMEvalue was pointing. TBH, I'm not sure Lucee Express should use these settings? Especially because it didn't work when it tried to (and reported no problem).
- One one of my machines I also needed to create a
JRE_HOMEenvironment variable, pointing to my JRE directory. This made me raise my eyebrow as I expected
JAVA_HOMEto be sufficient, but it turns out that it was pointing to an invalid directory. I guess
JRE_HOMEis a fall back.
- Ran the
startup.shas well for non-Windows users). After a few seconds of deploying stuff, I was up and running.
- Verified the site worked on
http://localhost:8888. Verified the admin worked on
- Shut Lucee down.
- Changed the port I was using in
[lucee]\conf\server.xml. Look for the reference to
8888. I just wanted to use
8450instead. This stepis just personal preference, but it's what to do if you want to change ports.
- In the same file change the
lucee.local(again: it's just my preference to not use
- In the same file change the defined
<host>to use the name
[lucee]\conf\web.xml, set the
listingparam to be
- In the same file, comment-out the welcome files. These last two steps are because in my development environment, I don't want
index.cfmbeing served by default, I just want a directory listing instead.
Having done this, I was up and running.
Nothing scintillating there. Like I said: more notes to self than anything else.